Join JVC and Live With Purpose by providing basic essential items to people experiencing homelessness. Volunteers will be creating bags filled with toiletries and food to give out as you drive around town.
Who are we helping? Blessings bags are meant to support those in your community you encounter in your everyday life.
Jewish Values in action:
- Chesed- kindness
- V’ahavta L’reacha Kamocha- loving your neighbor as yourself
- K’vod He-ahnee- respecting the poor
Supplies: Bags can include some or all the items listed:
- Gallon size bags to hold the materials for each blessing bag
- Lotion – Travel sized
- Shampoo and conditioner – travel sized
- Hand sanitizer – wipes or small bottles
- Bottles of water
- Gum – minty flavor (small/individual packs)
- Plastic fruit cups
- Granola bars
- Chapstick (one per bag)
- Tissue packet (small/individual packs)
- Instant coffee (small/individual pouches)
- Index Cards to write personal card/message
- Set up items into an assembly line for people to go down the line and assemble bags.
- Place items in a gallon size bag.
- Make a card for recipient and put into the bag.
- People can take bags home to put into their cars and give away to individuals in lieu of (or in addition to) giving money. The bags contain items that someone with limited resources can use for immediate needs.
Did you know? Socks are one of the most needed and least frequently donated items for individuals experiencing homelessness.
Learn more about the issue of homelessness and hunger and use discussion questions with your family/group! Stay tuned! Materials coming soon!
If you’re interested in obtaining supplies for this project and supporting JVC’s Live With Purpose, see below.
Cost is a donation:
$18 for supplies for 10 Blessing Bags.
Your gift represents a charitable contribution.