Direct Service Service Opportunities
JVC’s social service and school partners are creatively adapting their services to offer more virtual options in areas like friendly visiting and learning and to provide safe opportunities for volunteers to provide critical services in food service, transportation and other areas that require a physical presence. Visit the JVC search portal to search for the right opportunity to match your availability, interests, and comfort level.
You can also learn about ways to engage as a neighbor and citizen by clicking on the links below.
* These organizations are new partners to JVC and were recommended by a partner organization. They have not been fully vetted. JVC determined the need to provide real time virtual volunteer opportunities required a relaxation of our rigorous screening process for nonprofit partners.
Virtual Volunteer Opportunities: Volunteer using technology from your home.
**Share what you are doing to support the community and participate in the 100,000 Acts of Service Challenge here!**
We are offering service opportunities within different categories. Feel free to click the category below to skip to your desired list of opportunities.
Volunteer From Home to Create Important Items for Donation: Create donations that meet our partners’ urgent needs now.
Live With Purpose
Join JVC for our monthly Live With Purpose program, featuring volunteer projects that are critically needed by local organizations. Project materials can be purchased for a nominal fee and picked up from the Park Heights JCC.
Live with Purpose
- Casseroles: prepare and freeze a homemade casserole to share with a local nonprofit providing critical needs to the most vulnerable members of our community.
- Bunches of Lunches Bagged Meal Program: Make nutritious and tasty meals to be donated to local shelters, including: sandwiches, fruit cups, chips, bottled water, juices, granola bars, individually packaged trail mixes and snacks. Donation drop-off points are available every Monday in Pikesville. The schedule is available through the link. register here.
- Make cloth face masks for health-service partners and non-profits serving vulnerable communities.
- Notes of Encouragement and Appreciation: Make notes of appreciation for front-line workers and notes of encouragement for adults and children experiencing isolation and loss.
- Family Care Kits: bar soap, dry soup packets, prepackaged hot breakfast cereal, child’s fleece blanket, age-appropriate workbooks for grades 1-3, activity books/packets for children ages 2-7, pencils, crayons.
- Little Free Convenience Store: Create a box that can serve as a resource for people in the neighborhood. Add food and supplies inside and promote it within your community. Encourage people to take what they need and leave what they can.
Additional Creative Donation Project
- DIY Live with Purpose Projects: Complete these projects at home with supplies you already have, or can easily get. Please complete this form if you are planning to do any of the projects below if you have any questions and so JVC can be in touch regarding collecting completed projects.
- Bookmarks: Decorate bookmarks for local elementary school students via our Bookworms program. You can help each student find their “forever bookmark” and foster a love of reading.
- Community Art: Color images for Art with a Heart’s community art program. You can return them to Art with a Heart in the coming weeks or months.
- T-Shirt Tote Bags: Create reusable tote bags out of t-shirts for our partners in support of their food giveaways.
- Animal Enrichment Toys: Create toys for the Maryland SPCA and other shelters to help entertain and comfort rescued animals.
- “Mugs” of Love: Assemble packages with goodies for Meals on Wheels. Brighten the days of their recipients with snacks and activities.
- Noisemaker Craft Kits: Assemble craft kits for children who are living in shelters to make as a fun activity.
- Knit or Crochet Hats or Scarves: Knit or crochet hats or scarves for those experiencing homelessness. JVC collects these items year-round for winter care packages assembled at our annual Community Mitzvah Day.
- Collect Gently-Used Sports Equipment for Leveling the Playing Field: Donations will be collected when “stay-at-home” restrictions have lifted.
- Live with Purpose Projects: In compliance with Governor Hogan’s “Stay at Home” order, this Live With Purpose program is on hold until further notice. Stay tuned for updates. JVC can provide supplies for these projects for a suggested donation. Supplies must be picked up from locations in Pikesville, Owings Mills, or Lutherville through no-contact pick ups: items will be left outside for volunteers to take home. Projects include:
- Fleece Blankets
- Craft Kits (assembling the supplies for a recipient child to create a craft)
- Crafts (creating a craft to be given as a functional gift)
In Kind Donation Needs from JVC’s Service Partners:
During this challenging time, JVC’s Service Partners and their clients, are in even greater needs of in-kind donations including nonperishable foods, cleaning supplies, school supplies, baby supplies and more. Click here to explore the needs of our partners and to sign up to donate.
In-Kind Donations are needed to support the following partners:
- Asylee Women’s Enterprise (A.W.E)
- Baltimore Child Abuse Center
- Baltimore City Foster Care
- Baltimore Hunger Project
- Baltimore Rescue Mission and Karis Home
- Basilica Place
- Charm City Care Connection
- Civic Works
- DRU/Mondawmin Healthy Families
- Franciscan Center
- Jewish Community Services
- Levindale Hebrew Geriatric Center & Hospital
- Living Classrooms
- Manna House
- Maree G. Farring Elementary/Middle School
- Mount Washington Pediatric Hospital
- My Sister’s Place Women’s Center
- Our Daily Bread
- SAFE Alternative Foundation for Education, Inc.
- Soccer Without Borders
- Student Support Network
- St. Francis Neighborhood Center
- St. Vincent DePaul of Baltimore Shelters
- The Baltimore Station
- The Grace Foundation
- Tudor Heights
- Weinberg Housing and Resource Center
Complete this form if you would like to be updated about new volunteer and donation needs as JVC staff learns of them.
JVC, a proud agency of The Associated: Jewish Federation of Baltimore, is able to respond in times of crisis thanks to the funding and financial support it receives from The Associated’s Annual Campaign. Now, more than ever, our Associated network needs your support to continue meeting the growing needs in our community due to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Please give today.
Click here to return to associated.org/covid19 for information and updates that impact our community at large.