Domestic violence can be found throughout the Jewish community and affects Jews at every socioeconomic level—young and old, married and unmarried.
It is the mission of CHANA: Counseling, Helpline & Aid Network for Abused Women to aid individuals in the Jewish community who are victims of domestic violence by providing support, counseling and assistance—empowering women to create a safe environment for themselves and their families.
In addition, CHANA educates the entire Jewish community about domestic violence and appropriate responses to it, providing powerful hands-on programs that attract a broad spectrum of women in the Jewish community.
CHANA’s services include:
- Confidential telephone helpline. Call 410-234-0023 from 8:30 a.m.-8:30 p.m., Monday and Thursday, and 8:30 a.m.-5:30 p.m., Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday, excluding holidays. We can provide support and referrals to community resources.
- Counseling. Individual counseling and weekly support groups at no cost for Jewish women to share their own experiences in a safe and supportive environment.
- Kosher Safehouse. A secure refuge for women and their children who are in crisis and need to be away from their abusive partner/parent.
- Transportation. CHANA helps provide transportation for clients who need to run errands go shopping and make doctor’s appointments and court dates as necessary.
- Legal Services. Pro bono and reduced-fee legal services provided by volunteer lawyers to CHANA clients who need the legal system to gain protection.
- Speaker’s Bureau. A roster of staff and volunteers who will speak about domestic violence in the Jewish community to large or small groups. Call 410-234-0030 to arrange a meeting.
- Prevention Programs. A curriculum on healthy relationships and prevention of teen dating violence for middle and high school students.
CHANA has recently re-evaluated their volunteer needs and is conducting a series of volunteer trainings. Volunteers are needed for all types of jobs. Opportunities can involve working directly with clients or behind-the-scenes efforts.
Click here for a complete listing of volunteer opportunities!
For more information, contact Jennie Beckman at 410-843-7476, firstname.lastname@example.org